Just as a home builder would never consider erecting a home without an architect’s plan, an IT solution provider should never embark upon construction of the future state IT environment without a technical design.
The design for the Microsoft infrastructure serves several goals. First, it helps to ensure that the as-built solution will be configured to meet the client’s needs as uncovered during Technical Discovery (IT Projects module 03a). Second, a design reduces the cost of build and migration. While a system architect’s expertise might be required to determine the appropriate solution configuration actually performing the build require less expensive skills. Finally, the design serves as a benchmark for assessing whether the as-built solution environment was configured correctly, reducing the likelihood of post go-Live issues.
IT Projects Module 03b, Solution Design, provides the process framework for a comprehensive design of the client’s future state Microsoft infrastructure. This module includes sections for design of each aspect of the Microsoft solution.
This module consists of the Module Overview Diagram plus 14 pages of detailed process maps personalized for your company.
- Higher likelihood the as-built solution meets the client's needs
- Lower cost resources can be employed for solution implementation
- Benchmark established for system testing
Included with your first Service Blueprint Brick for a series:
- Life Cycle Diagram depicting process modules for the service offering
- Tutorial on "How to read a Service Blueprint"
- Kaizen-based guide on "How to deploy a Service Blueprint module"
Included with each Service Blueprint Brick:
- 11x17 and Legal PDF versions (A3 version for international clients)
- Detail Report (describing roles, systems, documents, and KPIs for the module)
- Task Report (listing all of the onstage and backstage tasks in the process module)
- Personalization with your logo, roles, and service automation systems
Additional features for Service Blueprint Subscription clients:
- Editable native MS Visio version of the Service Blueprint
- Accompanying AntFarm tools and templates such as agendas, project plans, planning tools
- Access to online Service Blueprint training
The goals of this process are to:
- Validate the assumptions made in the pre-sales proposal for the solution
- Create specifications for the solution build to meet the client's needs
- Identify changes in the Statement of Work or Bill of Materials driven by the solution design
At the onset of this process:
- Discovery for Microsoft infrastructure is complete
- Discovery workbook is updated with the results
Upon completion of this process:
- Draft Solution Design is complete
- Future State Network Diagram is updated
- Bill of Materials and Statement of Work are updated
- Risk Register is updated
- Updated documents are posted to the document repository
This process module includes these sub-processes:
- 03b.01 MS Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) Design
- 03b.02 MS File and Storage Services Design
- 03b.03 MS Print and Document Services Design
- 03b.04 MS Exchange Design
- 03b.05 MS SharePoint Design
- 03b.06 Draft Design Compilation
These metrics and KPIs provide an indication of process performance:
- Go-Live Issues
- Solution Build Issues
- Compliance With The Project Methodology
- Incomplete Design Elements
- On-time Project Milestones
- Rework Resulting From Solution Design Errors